Monty’s Story

A 16 year American called Monty once had to write a composition about what he wanted to do when he grew up. He took a lot of trouble over it and spent hours writing about his dream of one day being the owner of a horse ranch. He wrote seven pages describing the 200 acre ranch in great detail, and drew a diagram showing the location of all the 400 square foot house that he would build. The next day, he handed it to his teacher.

Two days later his teacher handed it back to him, with a big red F on the front and the words, “SEE ME AFTER CLASS”.

After class, the boy with the dream asked the teacher why he got an F, and the teacher said,” because this is am impossible dream for a boy like you. You need lots and lost of money to own a horse ranch. What sort of money have you got? Nothing! You come from a very poor family. There is no way you could ever do it. It’s just not possible.”

I’ll tell you what. You go back and write another composition with more realistic goal, and I’ll give you a better mark.”

The boy went home and asked his father for advice. His father said: “I’m sorry I can’t help you, but I think this has to be your decision, and I have a sense that it’s going to be a really important for you.”

The boy thought about it for a week. Finally he handed the ame paper back to his teacher, saying : “you keep the F, I’ll keep my dream,”

Monty then turned to the group of people with him and said: I’ll tell you this story because you are all sitting in my 4,000 square foot house in the middle of 200 acre ranch. And that composition is framed over the fire place.”

He went on”the best past of the story is that two summers ago, that same teacher brought 30 kids to camp on my ranch for a week. When the teacher was leaving, he said;” look Monty, I call tell this now. When I was your teacher, I was a dream stealer. I stole lots of kids’ dreams, but I am glad you had the courage to hang on to yours.”

Comments

Popular Posts