Skip to main content

Living with Low Self-Esteem: How It Affects Life Even at 42

 



I am 42 this year, and I recently discovered something that my friend warned me about years ago. At the time, I didn’t think much of it, but now, I realize how right they were. They told me, “If you don’t work on your self-esteem while you’re young, it will affect your life later on.”

Well, here I am, 42, living proof of how true that statement is. I’m someone who has struggled with low self-esteem for most of my life, and it still lingers, affecting me in ways that I never imagined when I was younger. It’s not just an abstract feeling that you can ignore—it shows up in the small, everyday moments and, unfortunately, in some of the bigger ones too.

The Daily Struggles of Low Self-Esteem

You might think low self-esteem is just about lacking confidence in social settings, but it’s deeper than that. It can impact your decisions, your relationships, and how you see your own worth. For me, this manifests in several ways:

  • Overthinking: I replay conversations in my head, wondering if I said the wrong thing, if I sounded stupid, or if I annoyed someone.
  • People-Pleasing: I’ve had a hard time saying “no” to people because I fear disappointing them. I find temporary comfort in saying “yes,” but it often leads to resentment later.
  • Avoiding Risks: Whether it’s speaking up in a meeting or trying something new, my mind defaults to What if I fail? or What will people think of me if I mess up?
  • Second-Guessing Myself: Even when I’ve done something well, there’s always a voice in my head telling me it wasn’t good enough.

The Long-Term Impact

When I was younger, I didn’t think much about how these patterns would affect my life down the line. But now, at 42, I see how they’ve shaped so many aspects of who I am and what I do.

I’ve missed out on opportunities because I didn’t believe I was capable. I’ve stayed in situations that didn’t make me happy because I thought I didn’t deserve better. I’ve felt stuck, frustrated, and overwhelmed, wondering why I can’t just be more confident like other people seem to be.

And here’s the thing—this isn’t something that magically disappears as you get older. If anything, the more years that pass, the more you realize how much low self-esteem has held you back.

Working on It (Even Now)

But I’m learning that it’s never too late to work on your self-esteem. I may be 42, but I’m trying to take small steps every day to change how I see myself. It’s not easy, and it won’t happen overnight, but I want to believe that it’s possible.

Some things I’m trying include:

  • Challenging Negative Thoughts: When I catch myself thinking, You’re not good enough, I try to question it. Is that really true, or is it just my self-doubt talking?
  • Setting Boundaries: I’m practicing saying “no” when I need to, without feeling guilty.
  • Celebrating Small Wins: Even if it’s something as simple as speaking up in a conversation or finishing a task I’ve been avoiding, I’m learning to acknowledge my efforts.
  • Being Kinder to Myself: This one is the hardest, but I’m working on treating myself with the same kindness I show to others.

You’re Not Alone

If you’re reading this and you’re struggling with low self-esteem too, I want you to know that you’re not alone. So many of us feel this way, even if we don’t always talk about it.

It’s okay to admit that you’re struggling. It’s okay to feel like you’re a work in progress. And it’s okay to take things one step at a time.

I’m still figuring things out myself, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that self-esteem isn’t something you either have or don’t have—it’s something you can build. And even if it takes years, it’s worth it.


Click at the picture to read more.

 

#SelfEsteemJourney
#BuildingConfidence
#MentalHealthAwareness
#OvercomingSelfDoubt
#BeKindToYourself
#SelfWorthMatters
#WorkInProgress
#ConfidenceBoost
#SelfLoveMatters
#PersonalGrowth
#ItGetsBetter
#YouAreNotAlone
#HealingJourney
#EmbraceYourself

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of having right mindset….

Got it from a website, and share it here. These are quotations from famous people about hard work and perseverance and of course the right mind set.  It's fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure." ~ Bill Gates "As long as your going to be thinking anyway, think big." ~ Donald Trump "The last thing that people want to hear is the plain simple fact that the rich think differently [about money] than the poor ... They have what I call a wealthy mindset." ~ Robert G. Allen "If you work for money, you give the power to your employer. If your money works for you, you keep and control the power." ~ Robert T. Kiyosaki "Flaming enthusiasm, backed by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success." ~ Dale Carnegie "Actually, I'm an overnight success. But it took twenty years." ~ Monty Hall "I don't look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look ...

2012

My 2012 has been a great year to me, and for that I am really thankful to Allah. There has been ups and downs and each one of it has been very meaningful to me. I started 2012 with a new place of work. The task become easier compare to the last my place of work. Less demanding and less pressure. But well, each place has it own problems. I encounter mine. But I take it lightly because it is not the problem that can caused me to feel angry. Instead the problem has shown me that I actually have issue with people. Then,turn out what I have to do is to just smile, ignore and do what I think is right. Do not bother what people think, as long as I do my work passionly and I try to be friend with them. Then, I discovered things about me. Like actually, I am not that very patient person. I will get what I want. It just, do not test my patience. It could be that I answer you back, or I will ignore that person totally. Actually, I hate the rush of impatience when it comes. It not good. And I ...

About Love and Marriage...

Got this from a facebook.... During a seminar, a woman asked a common question. She said, "How do I know if I married the right person?" I noticed that there was a man sitting next to her so I said, "It depends. Is that your husband?" In all seriousness, she answered "How... do you know?" Let me answer this question because the chances are good that it's weighing o n your mind.. Here's the answer. EVERY relationship has a cycle. In the beginning, you fell in love with your spouse. You anticipated their call, wanted their touch, and liked their idiosyncrasies. Falling in love with your spouse wasn't hard. In fact, it was a completely natural and spontaneous experience. You didn't have to DO anything. That's why it's called "falling" in love...Because it's happening TO YOU. People in love sometimes say, "I was swept off my feet." Think about the imagery of that expression. It implies that...